There have been recent rule changes in Western Australia, you no longer need council planning approval to build a granny flat.  If your granny flat is less than 70 square metres and meets setback requirements then you will not typically need planning approval.  You will still need building approval in the form of a building permit.  This is something that Perway can assist you with – get in touch if you’d like to discuss further.