10 Surprising Benefits of Building a Granny Flat You Haven’t Considered Yet
10 Surprising Benefits of Building a Granny Flat You Haven't Considered YetIf you're considering adding more living space to your home in Perth, a granny flat may be the perfect solution. Granny flats, also known as accessory dwelling units (ADU), tiny homes, backyard pods, outdoor pods, garden suites, are small, self-contained homes that can be built on the same property as your own current home. They can provide a range of benefits for homeowners in Perth, from extra living space to potential rental income. Credit: Photo by Superior Granny Flats Here are ten reasons why you might consider building a granny flat in Perth:
- Affordable housing: A granny flat can provide affordable housing for young couples, students, or elderly relatives who may not be able to afford a larger home.
- Increased property value: A granny flat can increase the value of your property, as it provides an additional dwelling on the same piece of land.
- Rental income: A granny flat can be rented out to generate extra income, helping to pay off the cost of building it. Perth is currently in the midst of a rental crisis due to a shortage of rental properties available. This has been caused by a number of factors including low vacancy rates, influx of people from overseas and a lack of new housing. Many people are struggling to find affordable rental properties, so think that it wouldn’t take long for your granny flat to be rented out.
- Aging in place: A granny flat can provide a safe and comfortable living space for aging parents, allowing them to maintain their independence while still being close to family.
- Home office or studio: A granny flat is a great space for those who have their own small business or who work from home.
- Guest accommodation: Got family from interstate or overseas coming to stay? A granny flat can provide a comfortable place for guests to stay, without the need for them to stay in your main home.
- Increased privacy: If you have adult children living at home or elderly parents living with you, a granny flat can provide them with their own space and a greater sense of privacy.
- Short-term accommodation: If you live in a popular tourist destination, a granny flat can be rented out on a short-term basis to travelers, providing an additional income stream.
- Flexibility: A granny flat can be designed to suit a range of different needs, from a small studio to a larger two-bedroom apartment, providing flexibility for changing family circumstances.
- Environmentally friendly: A granny flat can be designed to be energy-efficient and sustainable, reducing your carbon footprint and energy costs.
Andy is the Director and Registered Builder for Perway Construction Services. He commenced his career in the construction industry almost 20 years ago as a Carpenter. He offers clients his specialized advice and knowledge on their project, what’s best for their long term return on investment and how to achieve their home renovation dreams. He leads his team of tradespeople to complete successful, quality home renovations.